Did you know that stress can affect your immunity? Based on a report by the American Psychological Association, after their review of nearly 300 studies that dates from as early as 1960. I have 7 Bible Verses On Stress Elimination, broken down in everyday language to instantly reduce the desire to feel and or practice stressing.
4 Findings on the Effects of Stress on our Immunity (America Psychological Association)
- “Stress alters immunity.”
- “Short-term stress actually “revs up” the immune system, an adaptive response preparing for injury or infection.”
- “…long-term or chronic stress causes too much wear and tear, and the system breaks down.”
- “The immune systems of people who are older or already sick are more prone to stress-related change.”
What’s In Store
We’ll look at a short video on ‘The Science of Stress’ which was developed by the University of Arizona and National Geographic. An introduction of the 7 Bible Verses on Stress Elimination that instantly helps me to release any desire to worry.
I’ve kept in mind that many people may not be keen on ‘bible-ese’. No worries:-)! I’ve translated each verse to read like casual conversation between friends. I’ll:
- Share the bible verse (New King James Version – NKJV)
- Introduce my fantastic translation:-)
- Reveal the tips that were/are especially helpful for me
- Close with my discovery – what I learned and the impact on my overall outlook on life.
Before we get started on those bible verses, understanding how stress is formed and how it can affect both the body and mind really helped me to take stress elimination and reduction seriously. The video below a brief description on ‘The Science of Stress’.
The Science of Stress
Since we know that stress affects our immunity, the video below walks us through The Science of Stress – how it is created and its impact on our mind and body.
Why The Bible?
I was raised with a christian background and during early adolescence I really cherished these quotes. Yip, you guessed it! I was stressing big time and needed to lighten my mind quickly. Though I went on to include other philosophies as time passed, these were and still are part of my all time favorites of a really large treasure chest of inspiring words.
Whenever worry would threaten to either keep me awake or send me into a nibbling of my nails frenzy, I would sit with these verses. Funny thing is, the more I meditated on them, the less worry would stick. When it comes, like all thoughts do, it would be like a wisp in the wind.
#1 Bible Verse on Stress Elimination – Proverbs 12:25 (NKJV)
“Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, But a good word makes it glad.”
My Translation:– light, surface concerns have no root, so they go as easily as they come. No likelihood of depression there. If however, we either consciously or unconsciously regularly replay the thing that causes us dis-ease, it will take root. When it takes root, it will bear fruit, The fruit is depression.
1. Remind yourself: You can only change what you have control over. We don’t have control over much, but we do have control over what we give our time and focus to. For as long as thoughts about the situation keeps popping up, ask yourself what do you want – peace or sickness? For peace think and do things that you enjoy, enthusiastic about and/or joyfully accept.
2. Then seek out good words – I love quotes and sayings that inspire me. I have a huge collection from Artists, Poets, Pastors, Yogis, Buddha, Entertainers etc. If you want access to 365 Success Quotes For Motivation, check here.
Here’s a complimentary quote to get you started “You’re beautiful, you got this!” I live by the latter every day. I look for good and there are many times I am surprised by the goodness that finds me. . Not special in that regard, it is the same for you.
Discovery:- good follows good, even when bad visits, good is right there in the midst. I first started nurturing myself twice a day and the more I felt energized, the more I looked for goodness in everything. What started as a practice is much more natural to me now. My stubbornness slowed my learning and it took me a couple years for the naturalness to take full effect:-) I’m sure it will be an easier journey for you!
#2 Bible Verse on Stress Elimination – Philippians 4:8 (NKJV)
“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report. If there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy – meditate on these things.”
My Translation:- stop mining the drama of life because diamonds in the rough will serve you far better every day in every way. Keeping up to date has its value AND the way we look at things will determine its value.
Test the thing that’s bugging you as follows:
- Put aside how you feel about the thing, then ask yourself, Is it absolutely true?
- If I meditate on what’s bugging me frequently, what fruit is it likely to bear in abundance for me?
- If someone gave me those fruits as a gift would I classify it as ‘good’?
- Is this really, really who I am?
Discovery:- Whatever we plant in our space WILL affect our inner ecology. To plant is to afford precious time to a ‘thing’, keep it top of mind with regularity or talk about it to ourselves and anyone that will listen just as regularly:-).
There are a number of ways that things can be planted in this fertile inner space gifted to us (intelligence from the architect of the universe). It will always be better to replicate good – in word, thought and deed. It is best to live so NOW. You experience far less pain and suffering from worry and its close relatives:-)!
#3 Bible Verse on Stress Elimination – Matthew 6:34 (NKJV)
“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”
My Translation: – The only TIME that really exists is NOW. Focusing our energies on what exists will serve us far better than focusing on what does not exist – namely Tomorrow.
- Set definite goals – a clear and concise statement of a destination
- Begin to take action
- Enjoy each step/action of the journey
- Give thanks for the achievement of each milestone along the way
- Where possible, help others to achieve the same.
Discovery:- having a definite goal is far better than having a definite plan. A definite goal is a clear and concise statement of a destination. It is about maneuvering through the unknown which we call NOW.
A definite plan is a declared detailed path to that destination. As stated before, every new moment is in the realm of the unknown, we have not been here before. In the unknown many ‘unplanned’ things WILL occur. Following a declared and detailed plan is highly likely to miss all the opportunities to take a different path that will get us to our destination.
What do we do? Trust the process that intuitively, an intelligence operating within you is aware of the desired destination and will get you there. Here are some other good words that have helped me understand that concept – “And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” (Steve Jobs); – “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11, NKJV)
#4 Bible Verse on Stress Elimination – Romans 13:3
“…do what is good, and you will have praise from the same.”
My Translation: – no matter what is happening around you, even when it threatens to turn your whole world upside down, let your actions err on the side of goodness. True praise if any (not necessary really) is making a habit to act with goodness in our hearts despite the situation.
- First decide and then declare that you WILL act out of the goodness in your heart, no matter the situation (an important first step).
- Practice the art of acting when calm. In moments when you experience agitation that would easily influence you to act otherwise than your declaration, walk away. When your calm is more heightened, then act with the goodness that is in your heart.
- Every time you are able to do good, give thanks. It will allow you the grace to continue doing good.
- If you should act in a way that is not good to yourself or others – Forgive. First yourself, then others.
- Leave the past where it is unless it is a lesson that will improve your own actions of goodness.
Discovery:- If this is new to you, be gentle with yourself. It takes time to resist arguing with yourself and others or judging yourself or others harshly. Initiating the tips moment by moment and remembering to give thanks was especially helpful. The desire to ‘give others a piece of my mind’ became like chewing gum – of no real purpose:-).
Once that revelation kicked in, I began to catch myself just before I would, then the desire began to whittle away, then unknown to me (not sure when it really began) I started wishing others well (not to their faces – might aggravate some) and now I can wish others well from within my heart, no need to say it out loud anymore:-)
It’s a journey and you have to be gentle with yourself as you travel the path of putting aside judgment. You can do this – is what I would affirm. I let the universe handle the ‘how’. The tips above are the ones that worked best for me. Sharing to inspire you to allow life to lead you as you need.
#5 Bible Verse on Stress Elimination – Romans 12:21
“Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”
My Translation:- If you practice good, you will be overcome by good. If you practice being unkind, you will be overcome by unkindness.
- Do Good
- Forgive quickly – yourself first and then others.
Discovery:– I thought it would be easy to apply an eye for an eye and move on to being good. I personally found that I started to see behaviors that startled and then scared me. LOVE is the key.
Declaring that we want to be good is all you need. Trust me the universe will help you big time and take you through small steps to get there. Steps you are not able to imagine of think that they will yield the kind of result they do. I once again want to emphasize that I am not special in that regard. There is a lot of power in doing good, first for YOU, then for others. I cannot say this enough, be gentle with yourself, it will serve you well.
#6 Bible Verse on Stress Elimination – Ephesians 5:20
“giving thanks always for all things.”
My translation:- the law of attraction works – we are energetic beings and our every action is frequency based. Giving thanks is high frequency, just do it:-)!
- Give thanks in every moment, it helps you stay clear and focused, light and easy.
- Give thanks when struggles that are not initially understood visit you. They have come to strengthen you.
- Give thanks for disappointments – it is helping you to learn to surrender to what is versus what you think you may need (this took me a while and then I realized that it was the control thing…lol).
- Just keep giving thanks you will only go RIGHT.
#7 Bible Verse on Stress Elimination – Matthew 6:27
“ Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?”
My Translation:- don’t worry, be happy!
- Do the things that you are passionate about
- Accept the things you cannot change and joyfully do what you gotta do.
- Share happiness – more turns up
Discovery:– we cannot give what we are not aware that we have. The more joy we consciously experience, the more we can share from that place. If we are always aggravated, worried or frustrated, it spills over into our speech, actions and overall demeanor – so not cool.
Incorporate these 3 Practices – (1) accept what you cannot change and flow with joy while doing it, (2) do more of what you feel passionate about and (3) find opportunities that you are enthusiastic to pursue.
If you’re happy, worry will become a visitor not a tenant. So dance, sing, play, laugh, say a prayer or send positive words to a friend or someone in need
In general, when you start to eliminate stress this way, it can feel false. Like you’re faking it, that’s just the ego playing with our mind to ensure that we genuinely want to press in. After you increase your practice and declare from your heart what you want without focusing on the exact path to get there, an immense grace accompanies you and begins to build your wings. Because, one day you will notice that you are flying above worry. You are aware it passes by but it no longer troubles you.
#Strengthen your Immunity
Share with me in the comment box below, which translation worked best for you and what is your #1 Bible Verse On Stress Elimination.